Our aim in the Design Faculty is to create the designers, inventors and artists of the future. We ask students to reflect on society’s current and future needs and answer the question – how can we make a better future for all through design.
We ask students to come up with creative and experimental ways of solving problems, using a variety of different materials and processes, and evaluate and reflect on how their work meets the needs of the modern world.
We are engaged in community projects and extracurricular activities which challenge students to go further than classroom learning to make an impact on the local community.
SCHEME OF WORK
Our students learn 4 subjects in Year 7 & 8 and rotate through projects with specialist teachers. Each project involves designing and making with students creating a finished piece of work in each subject area.
In year 9 the students can choose 2 design subjects that they would like to explore further, these will be for the full year and offer our students an in depth pathway to the skills and techniques at KS4.
- In year 7 students will learn the basic skills of cooking, from simple soups, to complex meals for the whole family.
- In year 8 students will learn how to make a healthy packed lunch through practical cooking and investigations, students will learn about bodily nutrition and the links between healthy food and a healthy lifestyle
- In year 9, students will continue their journey in food and nutrition cooking more complex recipes and learning about obesity and how a healthy lifestyle can impact on our physical well-being. Students will cook complex recipes and develop skills to aid KS4 courses.
The work is assessed on the common skills in all design subjects, knowledge, developing, making and evaluating. Students are formatively assessed whilst on task, written feedback is given on work and homework’s to highlight the next stage of learning and how to improve these skills are then placed on DODDLE so that we can track how your child is progressing in their Design subjects.
- Food and nutrition, how to cook and prepare meals for all
- Healthy Lunch Box investigation
- Learners will develop cooking skills by exploring recipes for nutritious meals. Consider food choice.
- Gain knowledge about planning and sourcing food.
- Understand how to prepare food hygienically and safely.
- Develop skills to enable you to cook several dishes to create a meal. Understand the functions of food ingredients.
- Investigate ways to present food and understand that good presentation contributes to the enjoyment of food.
- Learn ways to economise when shopping for ingredients and cooking meals at home.
Knowledge organisers: Pupils are encouraged to use their knowledge organisers regularly in class. These will be used as a theory test for our students and include keywords and processes for each area. A new knowledge organiser section will be given for each project.