The MFL department’s aims are to create a learning environment where pupils can build their knowledge and understanding of foreign languages and other cultures.
Students are able to build on prior knowledge from both English and MFL lessons at primary school, developing a sound awareness of grammatical structures and topic vocabulary. Students participate regularly in speaking activities, designed to increase fluency and confidence. We have an excellent programme of school trips.
SCHEME OF WORK
All students in Year 7 learn French. Most students continue with French in Years 8 and 9, and some students also study Spanish in Year 9 as a second foreign language. Students are encouraged to continue with a language for GCSE. Students take part in speaking, listening, reading and writing activities. We encourage students to develop their independence, and expect all students to engage with our out of hours learning programme.
Student work is assessed regularly. The department uses a combination of teacher, self and peer assessment. All students have an assessment book, where progress is regularly monitored and recorded. Regular assessment enables pupils to self-reflect on their learning, so they are well aware on the necessary steps to progress in their language learning. The department tracks pupil progress using Doddle.
- introducing myself, numbers, colours, countries, nationalities, hobbies, my town, school,
- weather, where I live, food and drink, my family, my heros
- Bristol, tv & cinema, holidays, role play situations, shopping and fashion, sports stars
- accelerated course designed to prepare for GCSE, includes elements of the above with a heavy focus on applying grammatical structures correctly
Year 10 – GCSE:
- School and Future Plans
- My town
- Local and international problems
- Social issues
Year 11 – GCSE:
- The environment and charity work / volunteering
- Global issues
- Exam Preparation
- - Useful websites: linguascope.com
- - Knowledge organisers: Pupils are encouraged to use their knowledge organisers regularly in class.