Bedminster Down School

EHIC Cards

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)


All students travelling on trips abroad require an EHIC card, which should be handed in to the lead member of staff before travelling. 

A valid European Health Insurance Card gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland. 

The EHIC covers treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home. Treatment should be provided on the same basis as it would to a resident of that country, either at a reduced cost or, in many cases, for free. For example, in some countries, patients are expected to directly contribute a percentage towards the cost of their state-provided treatment. This is known as a patient co-payment. If you receive treatment under this type of healthcare system, you are expected to pay the same co-payment charge as a patient from that country.

In order to apply for an EHIC card, go to


You will need either a parent’s National Insurance number, or the child’s NHS number.  EHIC cards are free, although some websites will claim to process applications more quickly for a fee.  Please do not use these, the NHS application process is free and usually quite quick.


If you require any support with applying for this card, please contact the school office.